About East Park
Here’s a quick guide to East Park’s hidden history
1881 Wolverhampton’s West Park is opened leaving people in the east side of the town to demand a similar park.
1892 – Plans get under way for the park with the bulk of the land donated by the Duke of Sutherland and Sir Alfred Hickman and Sir Alfred Sparrow.
1892-3 Thomas Mawson’s design called Utile Dolci is selected and work starts with thousands of loads of soil used to fill in old mines under the land. Mawson was the most prolific garden designer of his day.
1896 East Park is officially opened by the town’s mayor and mayoress. It becomes famous for its boating lake and bathing pool.
1897 The bathing pool attracts 50,000 bathers in the first season.
1907 The park is used to give gardening lessons to pupils of Monmore Green School.
1914 Park goes into decline and water from the pool disappears into the old mines under the area.
1920s Tennis courts are built.
1951 The Festival of Britain Project funds a children’s playground and the paddling pool.
2012 Thanks to Heritage Lottery funding work starts on the park’s restoration.
2013 The park’s refurbished Grade II listed clock tower and bandstand are unveiled.
2014 The East Park Extravaganza is held to celebrate the completion of work to the much-loved park.