About Wednesfield Park and King George V Playing Fields
Here’s a quick guide to Wednesfield Park and King George V Playing Fields’ hidden history
1925 Wednesfield Urban District Council buy the land for a park.
1936 The playing fields are established by the King George V Fields Foundation ‘to promote and to assist in the establishment throughout the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland of playing fields for the use and enjoyment of the people’.
1966 Wolverhampton County Borough takes over running the park and fields.
2009 The new Trap-Makers Bridge over the Wyrley and Essington Canal opens, improving access between the park and the centre of Wednesfield.
2010 Regal plaques on the King George V Playing Field gateway in Amos Lane are restored. This marks the completion of a £2 million renovation to the park and fields by Wolverhampton City Council and British Waterways.