About Pendeford Mill Nature Reserve
Here’s a quick guide to the reserve’s hidden history
1650s The mill shown as Pendeford Mill and located near Pendeford Hall comes into use.
1650s onwards it appears as Pendeford, Barnhurst or New Mill on various maps.
1805 The Rev. Henry Higginson is born at Pendeford Mills. Educated at Brewood Grammar School, he becomes a Primitive Methodist Preacher and is known as the Roving Ranter.
1912 The mill house is converted into two cottages.
1961 The cottages and mill are abandoned and knocked down.
1976 Wolverhampton Council protects the site and earmarks it as a nature reserve putting Paul Coxill in as its manager to ensure a protected habitat for wildlife on the fringe of an urban area